CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 11, 2013

Literacy Centers

Well I'm a little late, but better late than never.  I have wanted to post how I do my literacy centers for a while now.  I finally have all of the pictures to share.  I do literacy centers and small reading groups 4 times a week.  We save Friday for Friday finish up.  I have 8 total centers and I use the rotations schedule below. 
 
 
Center Rotation Schedule
 
We start out on the first rotation going across.  It lasts 15 to 20 minutes.  Blue group comes to teacher table, Red group is at choices (teacher chooses an activity), Orange group is at a center and Green group is also at centers.  They can choose the center.  They can not repeat that center during the week.  They have Friday to finish it if needed.  After 15 to 20 minutes we go back to our seats then I call for rotation 2.  And the process starts over again.   Each day they will see me once in small group, complete two new centers and complete the choices activity. 
 
Below are the centers I set up every Friday so that I am ready for Monday morning.  We work on one word family a week. I use many of the items from Carls Corner.  A great site with so many amazing freebies.   At teacher table I work with groups based on their specific reading needs. 
 
 
This center is called Rhymes and Chimes. I type up a poem or rhyme that corresponds to that word family. The children write it and recite it with one another. After writing it they are to find the word family and highlight it.
 
Rhymes and Chimes


Finished Rhymes and Chimes
 

Stamping center. I fold a piece of newsprint hotdog, hamburger, hamburger to create 8 squares. I use the Lakeshore Word Family Stamp set to stamp out the word family. I place a list of words from that word family on the easel and each child can choose the words they like and illustrate. There is a picture of the Lakeshore Set below.  After checking they are now discontinued...sorry.

 
Stamping Center



 
 
Lakeshore Word Family Stamps
 
 
The next center is what we call Sliders.  This is also found on Carl's Corner.  The children slide the beginning letters through the slot to make new words.  We record the words, then the children pick two favorites and write 2 sentences. 
 

Sliders Center



The next two centers are Reading and Listening.  I use our District Reading Series for Listening Center.  For Reading Center I use our District Science, Social Studies and Reading small book packs. 
 






Pocket Chart Center is another one from Lakeshore that I love.  I purchased this several years ago along with the magnetic pocket chart......Love it. Not sure about its availability.   The children fill in each blank with a sight word.   They use the pointer to read aloud the sentences.  Then they write the sentences and illustrate.  I can differentiate this center by limiting the number of sentences written.

 
 
Word Work is next.  This is also from Carl's Corner.  The kiddos use letter tiles and mats to create new words for the word family.   They write the words they make and write two sentences using two words. You can also differentiate this center by using scrabble tiles and having the children add up each word using the numbers on the tile.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Finally my Scrambled Sentences Center.  This is a unit I created and sell on TPT and Teachers Notebook.  It is $7 and includes 49 word families.  There are 5 sentences with 5 words.  4 sentences end with periods, one ends in a question mark.  The beginning capital letter, ending punctuation mark and the word family are highlighted on the cards.  It includes a recording sheet. 
 
Scrambled Sentences Center
 
Scrambled Sentences Center with mat.

Storage for Cards for Scrambled Sentences


I store my word families in folders.  They are labeled and ready to be pulled each week.  Also included on Carl's Corner are corresponding word searches, picture and word matching, mini books, What its Worth (add the word total) and Cloze the Gap (fill in the sentences).  They are filed in here.



I hope you find something useful. Thank you for sticking with the long post.

Tammy

 
 
 

 

 


 
 


 
 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you've got a lot of fun centers going on in your room! I also schedule myself so I stay organized. :) Rhymes and Chimes looks super fun, too, with the highlighters! I bet they love that! Thanks for sharing your ideas!!

    Kate
    Second Grade Sparkle

    ReplyDelete